I'm addicted to being busy. There is always something to do. So why rest?...
And because of that attitude I've always had, I am now home for the month resting. [instead of at school taking a May Term class, working in the admission office, and doing soccer workouts]
For those who don't know the recent drama; I got home last Monday and started to feel pretty sick with a sore throat. When I woke up early Tuesday morning I could barely swallow or talk because my throat was so swollen and sore. There was also a little pain in my ears. I took some Advil throughout the day and it helped manage the pain. Wednesday I woke up even worse. I literally cried all morning. After a Dr. visit that included getting blood drawn, I was given some awesome drugs to knock me out and reduce the swelling in my throat that if I didn't have, I don't know how I would have survived. We got the phone call Friday from the Dr. with the official diagnosis. Mono. & strep throat. & ear infection. I couldn't have been more unhappy with that news. I was given more medicine and by Friday night I was feeling better.
Except I'm not better. Because of the mono I am unable to anything. Except relax. I don't know how to do that... Relaxing, to me, is boring. Why lay on the couch when I could go for a bike ride with Ally? Why take a nap when I could help tear down wallpaper?
This is the first time I have had a real break with real relaxing in over a year. God had to get my attention somehow I suppose! And obviously my body [and mind] needed it.
So now with all my extra time I'm really trying to encourage myself to read more. pray more. and learn everything it is that God wants me to learn since I managed to exhaust myself to illness. There are no distractions of a schedule or a list of things I 'need' to get done. Just me. my Bible. a couple books. my bed. and God. [although I have to admit I did make a list of things I could do while I'm being forced to rest... I love lists. :P]
Some sad news: I don't think my hair has grown much since getting sick. I colored my roots a few weeks ago, and they aren't even growing in yet :/
Some other sad news: All the effort I have put into my Wally workouts for soccer have left me. After not eating for 5 days, and now having a smaller appetite, and lack of exercise, I can fit into a pair of jeans I bought my freshman year of college... and I am not happy about that. I want my muscles baaack :/
Some good news: I have an awesome boyfriend who is spending the weekend with me. Helping me learn how to relax :]
And for anyone reading: I would love any suggestions for things to read/do while on my stupid rest month until I leave to start coaching soccer for On Goal in June; they would be much appreciated :]
heyy baby! you should finish reading And the Bride Wore White :) the book changed my life! i love reading it over and over!! i know you started it... there's an idea for ya ;)
ReplyDeleteMovies, books (I can suggest some good ones if you'd like), learn to crochet/knit, write letters to people... trust me, I've been there (couldn't get out of bed other than to pee my last 6wks of being pregnant with David)... praying for you!
ReplyDeleteYou need to start making summer friendship bracelets. Those would be greatly appreciated by everyone, and we wouldn't have to do it at the last minute like always. bahah.
ReplyDeleteSo glad God is teaching you how to be still and know HIM more, what an awesome concept.
Love you my friend!
"There are no distractions of a schedule or a list of things I 'need' to get done. Just me. my Bible. a couple books. my bed. and God."- I really like this. Thanks for the reminder! About this rest, even if it's out of your norm you deserve it. My family and I are still praying for your healing love! -I am reading 19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult, I would recommend it read through the first 100 pages in a day. Just in case you need some more suggestions :)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou may have already read it, but Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot is one of my all time favorite books! It's so beautiful and I think you would appreciate it! :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, there is a movie called INK...it is pretty strange but there are some deep spiritual connections about the love of Jesus. But I am warning you...it is weird! So if you watch it and don't like it I'm sorry! LOL!
Anyway, I'm sorry your sick. You will be in my prayers!
<3 Elise