Friday, January 29, 2010

MoneyMoneyMoney

I do not know how to save money.

I get paid. I buy clothes. or shoes. I go to restaurants. I impulse buy things at Target. & then I have no idea where the rest goes.

I've attempted saving money, putting it in the actual savings account. Then I find myself in a situation where I HAVE to buy the dress that will be sold out of my size if I don't buy it right now... and transfer the money out of savings into checking.

I'm getting better. [by having TWO banking accounts, one that I don't really have the option of getting into... and have saved $40 so far this year - $10 a week :]]

But there is one thing I do not regret spending my money on, and have actually found so much satisfaction in - items that use the money earned from the purchase to change the world, even if it is of only one person.

Today I finally got my TOMS shoes :] and I love wearing them because with every step I know a child somewhere is taking steps in their new shoes too :]. Without my TOMS, a child wouldn't be able to go to school, and now has the opportunity for that while avoiding death causing illnesses that are preventable by simply wearing shoes! [www.TOMSshoes.com - check out the site. and buy a pair. and if you have little feet, like mine, I wear a youth size 5]

Today I ALSO got my shirt from LiNK. LiNK, Liberty in North Korea, is an organization that was started in 2004 by passionate people who learned about the lack of freedom in the country and wanted to raise awareness and bring about change. I know the purchase from the shirt is not going directly into the pocket of a North Korean who has no food or a place to live, but wearing the shirt raises awareness. Writing about wearing the shirt raises awareness. I was completely ignorant to the complexity of the situation in North Korea until my friend from Invisible Children asked if i'd try and host a viewing of their video here on Bethel's campus [which I am currently trying to work out all the details for]. My LiNK shirt will not directly change laws allowing people to say, write, or even think what they want. But it is forward motion. & that is always positive.
[ www.LiNKglobal.org - visit the site. educate yourself on another part of the world. & even buy a shirt.].

Now that is money well spent :]


Resolution updates: pop free for 29 days :] slacking in reading my Bible daily :/ but still trying. & forget to take my hair vitamins more than I take them - a new approach to remembering = putting the bottle in a place where it is seen first thing when I wake up, like right next to my toothbrush :]

Quote of the Day: courtesy of Pua Hall [my wonderful friend and teammate who resides in the beautiful state of Hawaii]. "I just found out that Cincinnati is not a state... I think I got it confused with Connecticut. All your long state and city names confuse me."

:]

<><

2 comments:

  1. I LOOOOVE my TOMS, too! I got some over the summer! What do yours look like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine are navy blue and have white writing that say "Make art Not war" :] there are only 4 patterns for the youth TOMS... i thought about plain white, but they would have gotten too dirty. what are your like?

    ReplyDelete